Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Attic Club



  • Existence: 1909-1940

Organized in 1909 by a group of 13 artists, the club took its name from its quarters on the top floor of Times building at 114 S. 4th Street (the club later moved to 614 W. Lake St. and other locations). By 1926 there were about 52 members. The club held exhibitions and social parties including costume balls and plays. The club symbol is a huge spider suggestive of an attic.

Among those members associated with the Minneapolis School of Fine Art/Minneapolis School of Art are: Albinson, Dewey; Burton, Samuel Chatwood; Calhoun, Frederick D.; Cassidy, Louise; Crawford, Isabella; Goetsch, Gustav; Holzschuh, R. P.; Hudson, Jerry; Kane, Kathleen; Keane, Theodore J.; King, E. S.; Knowlton., May F.; Larsen, Andreas; Mero, Lee V.; Methven, Don; Rawson, Carl; Rubins, Harry W.; Sooy, Louise; Taube, Walter; Young, Rowena.

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records: